Wednesday, August 15

Gratitude

I used to be a seriously unhappy individual. It was as though my favourite pastime was to dig for stuff that made me upset.

I had depression, and I used to believe it was solely a medical condition and that I had no power over it. I even believed I would live my entire life surrounding by prescriptions after prescriptions of anti-depressants.

Then came a day, I realised that I might have the power to be happy. It was the day, I learnt about 'Gratitude'.


“If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, ‘thank you,’ that would suffice.”Meister Eckhart


From that day on, I would give myself one minute a day to silently give thanks to what I have in my life. Sometimes, I do it, commuting in a car, sometimes while lying down on my bed waiting for the doors of dreamland to be opened, I had even done it in the loo, after doing a satisfying poo.

Truth is, I don't do it often enough, but whenever I take my time to count my blessings, I would be swept away by a tsunami of bliss.

In Singapore, where we are all living in a pressure-cooker environment, many of us grow up believing that the route to happiness is through a good education, a stable job, a roof over your head and if possible, owning a car (for men) and getting married (for some women). Ironically, many people who possess all the above, happened to be some of the most unhappy bunch of people whom I have met.


"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful of what you already have." It can't be more true. I can testified for it.


Happiness - It's simply focusing on abundance. Don't talk about what you don't have, but remind yourself what you are been blessed with. You will be amazed with what gratification can do for you.

OK. Maybe you had a tragic past. Maybe you met some/lots of ass-holes along the way.

Let it go. Make your past an interesting story, not part of your history. Your past can't make you who you are, unless you allow it.

Lastly, I want to say, "Thank you. I am grateful  for the opportunity to share my life on this blog." And that's my gratitude for the day.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...