Monday, May 12

It's not Rocket or Pocket, it's Croquettes!

I have been wanting to make croquettes for my kids for a while, and since I am going out with some friends and their kids today, I thought why not. I will make them and bring them along with me.

My son asked me what I was doing, I told him, "I am making croquette!" He laughed and couldn't stop teasing me by mispronouncing it deliberately, calling it "rocket" or "pocket".

If you have children or love potatoes, why not try this yummy recipe - Bacon and Cheese Croquette

Ingredients for 8 croquettes:
- 5 small potatoes
- 5 slices of bacons
- an onion
- 2 slices of cheese
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 small piece of butter (optional)
- an egg
- some flour (I use gluten-free flour, but you can use normal flour)
- some bread crumbs (I use Japanese bread crumb)
- some vegetable oil for deep frying


And here is how you do it! 

Boil the potatoes until a fork can pass through them.


While the potatoes are in the pot, use the time to chop up the onion and bacons.


Fry the bacons. If you are using a non-stick pan, you don't have to use any oil. When the bacons start oozing out oil, add in the onions. Stir fry them until onion is soften and bacons are browned. 


When the potatoes are ready, peel the skins off under running water while the potatoes are hot, the skins will come off quite effortlessly. Then put the potatoes, salt and butter in a large bowl and mash them up.


Then add in the bacons and onion to the mashed potatoes. Mix them well.


Divide the potatoes into 8 portions. Take one portion and flatten it onto your palm, add a quarter slice of the cheese in the middle and fold the potato's edges to the middle, so that the cheese is hidden right inside. Then shape the potato into an oval shape.


Put flour onto a large plate and lay the shaped potato onto the flour to prevent them from sticking onto the plate. Turn the potato over and coat it evenly with flour.


Next, beat an egg in a wide and shallow bowl or plate and pour the bread crumbs into another similar bowl.


Dip the flour coated potato into the egg and then coat it with the bread crumbs.


Make sure the potato is coated evenly with bread crumbs.


When the oil is hot, gently put in the potato. Do not flip it immediately or it might break into pieces. Wait for the crumbs to harden before flipping the potato over. Use medium to medium high heat, fry for just 2 mins or until it turned deep golden in color.


Drain the oil off before serving.


It's good as a snack and perfect with a bottle of beer! I mean, beer if you are an adult. Hehehe...

You can also make it into a vegetarian style, but replacing the bacons with corns kernels. Or if you prefer meatier version, you can use minced beef instead of bacons. They will taste good anyhow.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...