Friday, December 23

Gluten-Free Baking

Some months back, we found ourselves thrown into the world of gluten-free when our two kids were found to have food intolerance (which explained why they were always wheezing and coughing). They were reactive to gluten and dairies, which simply meant that they have to kiss goodbye to cakes, biscuits, cookies, pastries, pizzas, ice-creams, muffins, breads and so much more.

It's so hard to be different, especially when food intolerance is still kind of an alien to many Asian parents. Many people do not understand why we freaked out when someone insisted that a tiny piece of cake is OK for our kids. It's also very heart wrenching to have our kids watched as other normal children gulped down all those wonderful and sinful goodies made from wheat flour, while they can't touch any of those.

So I decided I don't want to deny my children of their childhood, and no, I am not going to cave in and start 'poisoning' them with commercially-baked products. I am going to be my children's personal baker.

One of the first recipe I tried was Banana and Walnut Muffins from Joy of Baking. I simply substitute the flour and baking powder with gluten-free self-raising flour, and for melted butter, I used rice bran oil in its place. The result was unexpectedly delicious. I went on experiment with blueberries and had such a huge success that boosted my confidence to bake more.


Bite-sized blueberries muffins I made for my kids' school's potluck.


Recently, I found this Betty Crocker's Gluten-Free Cake Mix at Fair Price Finest. I was over the moon! I tried its Devil's Food and was surprised at how much it tasted just like normal cake, if not better, even though I had to swop butter for Planta.




There's more to life than being intolerance towards gluten and dairies and I am loving gluten-free baking!


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...